[Qgis-psc] Proposal that QGIS.ORG will become a member of the OpenDesign Alliance

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Dec 15 23:22:24 PST 2015

Hi all,

> * Andreas could you clarify if your intention is to have a data
> provider that reads DWG on the fly, or a transformation tool that
> converts it to e.g. spatialite with embedded QML styles that reflect
> the original styles of the DWG data? If something like the latter then
> Vincent’s suggestion of building a discrete tool packaged separately
> from QGIS might be worth considering.

The goal is to read DWG on-the-fly and also auto-convert styling and
labelling as close as possible. It should be possible to copy data from
CAD to GIS and to snap to the CAD layers.

> * Just tossing ideas around, one alternative we could consider is to
> follow the ubuntu route - when you want to install a proprietary
> driver for your video card - they give the user a nice little message
> indicating why it might not be nice to use it and then fetch it online
> if they want to continue anyway. I think their model is quite good in
> that they provide a balance between pragmatism and a more purist
> approach that e.g. debian goes with. Perhaps other proprietary stuff
> like ECW, MrSID could also be managed in this way and we get to raise
> some awareness about which functionality is provided by proprietary
> code, and those who want a ‘pure’ FOSS QGIS experience can have it by
> not installing those binary blobs.

This decision would probably have to go into the installer. As far as I
know, it is not so easy to "plug in" binary code at a later stage. But I
would be fine with the approach that the user would be asked at install
time if he wants to install with or without proprietary data providers.
As far as I know, on Windows, if you want to have Oracle support you
also have to accept the extra Oracle license.

Thanks,