[Qgis-psc] Call for vote: QEP #13 Efficient Snapping and Geometry Queries

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 00:24:02 PST 2015

Hi Marco

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Marco Hugentobler <
marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch> wrote:

>  Hi Martin
>
> Just curious, what is the use case for the more efficient snapping? From
> the description I understand the performance is improved if not in editing
> mode. Is it intended to be used primarily for plugins?

The use cases:
- make the editing behave faster without having to potentially hit data
providers on every mouse move
- make it possible to have more interactivity - e.g. identify tool working
on mouse over
- make some processing algorithms faster

So it is intended to be used anywhere in QGIS where spatial objects need to
be located. The main driver was to clean up the "snapper" API, the improved
performance is just a side effect of the new approach.

Cheers
Martin