[Qgis-psc] Clarification of outcome of PSC meeting 16/1

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Sat Jan 17 02:20:15 PST 2015

On 17-01-15 02:32, Nyall Dawson wrote:> Hi,

> I'm seeking some clarification on the decisions made during last
> nights PSC. Specifically, it looks like it was agreed that LTR
> releases would go ahead, but I'm unclear on:
>
> - which release will become LTR?
> - will 2.10 become 3.0 and allow API break?
> - or if not, will the composer/layout API break be permitted for 2.10?

Hi Nyall,

we have added the full log in this wiki page:

http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/PSC_Meeting_16_January_2015

We stopped the meeting after 2 hours, and being half on the agenda.
There will be a new one the 25th of january.

To give you answer to your questions (other PSC members, please correct
me if I'm wrong):

- 2.8 will be next LTR
- no descision on 3.0 version taken yet
- I think(!) that slight api changes for composer-code is allowed as
somebody mentioned that that api is not so much used by plugins...
- IF you break api, you have to document it thoroughly in python
cookbook and api docs

if you ask me personally I would not make 2.10 a 3.0 version as to me it
looks better to have another 2.x version after a LTR as backporting
fixes will be much harder when we start breaking api immediately   after
a LTR.

PSC plz correct me if I'm wrong here somewhere.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde