[Qgis-psc] [Qgis-developer] Clarification of outcome of PSC meeting 16/1

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 18:44:13 PST 2015

On 20 January 2015 at 09:22, Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> @nyall - just referring back to your original part of this thread - could
> you please describe for us your preferred scenario with regards to Composer
> -> Layout refactor and how it would relate to a LTR? For example would you
> rather see it in the LTR or happen after the LTR etc?

I've come to the conclusion that the way to proceed is:

If either 2.10 or 2.12 become QGIS 3.0, then target the layout engine
work for 3.0. This includes removal of all existing composer API.

If QGIS 3.0 is scheduled for > 2.12, then the layout engine will land
in parallel to the existing composer implementation. Composer will be
deprecated but untouched, and users can manually switch from composer
-> layout engine via a combo box in QGIS settings. Default will be to
use composer engine to avoid breaks. Obviously, if they choose to make
the switch then existing plugins will break for them! When QGIS 3.0
lands the composer classes will all be removed.

Hope that helps clarify the situation!
Nyall