[Qgis-psc] Topics for the User/Developer conference and Workshop in Nødebo

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Jan 26 13:13:45 PST 2015

Hi Lene

My apologies for the slow reply!

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Lene Fischer <lfi at ign.ku.dk> wrote:

>  Hi PSC,
>
> I´m about sending out invitation to submissions for workshop and speeches
> in Nødebo.
>
> The plan is to have 1 common track and the split out in 2 tracks for
>  Developers and Users.

​Sounds great!​

> We have had a debate about the topics and come up with some ideas:
>
> QGIS on different platforms (Smartphones and tablets)
>
> Datastorage – the most efficient storagetypes
>
> Common SQL functionality for all storage types – Like in MapInfo,
> Visualization
>
> ………
>

> Do you have ideas for topics. We know you have a meeting today, so please
> take this into discussion.

​Unfortunately we ran out of time to discuss it in our meetings so let me
put some ideas out here:

General Track:
--------------------

* Engaging with the community to advance QGIS for your needs
* Case studies of QGIS deployments and projects (e.g. Uster, Solothon) /
Andreas / Cedric
* Getting help and reporting issues / Giovanni / Paolo
* Community feedback (open forum for users to talk to a panel of devs)

Developer Track:
-----------------------

* QGIS Python API 101 / Martin
* Writing a processing algorithm in QGIS / Victor
* Writing a QGIS plugin / Marco B
* Writing unit tests for QGIS / Tim
* Tips and tricks for developing on QGIS (IDE Setup, Debugging etc.)

User Track:
---------------​

​* QGIS for first time users /
* Digitising, forms and advanced data capture techniques / Matthias K
* Power user's cartography in QGIS / Anita
* Making the most of the QGIS processing framework / Victor
* Data versioning with QGIS / Horst
* Publishing QGIS projects on the web  / Marco H

I think we could put out a call for presenters  listing the above (and
anything else you want to add like your ideas above) as possible topics.
Alternatively we could more formally lay out the above (with edits as
needed) and then solicit different community members to fill in different
slots (I put some likely candidates next to some of the items above).

I also wanted to suggest that we set up an event brite page (like the one
they have here for foss asia: https://fossasia.eventbrite.com/

We could have voluntary pricing points like:

0 - Let me come for free!
XX - I am coming in my personal capacity and want to pay
XXX - I am coming in my professional capacity and want to pay
XXXX - I want to pay and help the project

I don't know what reasonable price points would be but that is something we
can discuss here.

I know you mentioned limited space being an issue - something else that
event brite can probably help us manage.

For the programme itself can we lay out more clearly the calendar schedule
- to make it clear that we have two day user conference followed by our
'normal hackfest'?

I was also wondering if we want to have sponsors etc.

Lets keep this discussion on the PSC mailing list if that is ok so we can
take advantage of our mail filters etc.

​

> Regards
>

> *Lene Fischer*
>
> Associate Professor
>

> *Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management*
>
> University of Copenhagen
>

> MOB +45 40115084
>
> lfi at ign.ku.dk
>

> [image: cid:image001.gif at 01D03029.2F3EC6A0]

 * Desktop GIS programming services
 * Geospatial web development
* GIS Training
* Consulting Services