[Qgis-psc] Chat unification

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Mon Nov 9 02:38:01 PST 2015

Hello,

On 08/11/2015 11:29, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 08, 2015 at 09:35:21AM +0000, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
>> Oh we can just host something like rocketchat which is open but not old
>> school like IRC
>
> Sorry but... what's does "old school" mean exactly ?
> IRC is a _protocol_, an open standard, like HTTP or SMTP.
> There can be how many clients (and servers) you want for IRC,
> like web browsers for HTTP or mail agents and servers for SMTP.
>
> What are we talking about here ? Are you finding no "comfortable"
> IRC client for your operating systems ? Or is it a problem at
> the protocol level ?
>
> I've tried using gitter via my IRC client, but it failed big time,
> loosing messages without notifying me about it and using my login
> credentials to send unsolicited notifications. Why would you want
> to use a software which is both proprietary and bogus ?

Thank you Sandro for this.

Making an Opensource project rely on proprietary software AND protocol
raises a lot of doubts to me.
This is totally against what we try to achieve with QGIS itself.

And personnaly, I will not open yet another account on yet another
proprietary service for every single opensource software I contribute to.

Regards,
Vincent