[Qgis-psc] outstanding issues

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Fri Nov 20 09:54:40 PST 2015

Hi

> On 20 Nov 2015, at 17:55, Jürgen E. Fischer <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> On Fri, 20. Nov 2015 at 11:01:10 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> I’d also like to keep good relations with SP as they have a long history of
>> contributions and support of the QGIS project, so if they don’t wish to share
>> the code back to QGIS upstream, I think we should respect that and make an
>> alternative plan, even if it is not the ideal situation.
>
> Um, is sourcepole that distant?  I still think of them as important part of the
> team,

Well that was my point above….

> while above sounds like they are some remote contributor.

I don’t think so - we are able to directly ask them “will you share your code” and they are comfortable enough to say “not at this time, probably in the future” which is a better and more straightforward / open conversation that we might have had with some third party that we don’t know. Anyway if I came across as making them sound like some remote contributor that was certainly not my intention...

> And our technical advisor should be on very good terms with them ;)
>
> Without being able to look at the code - if sourcepole doesn't currently have
> the resources to do the port, maybe someone else can?

I did ask them this and as I and others mentioned, their position is they wish to provide the code as a value-add to their customers at the moment so I think they issue is a) they don’t have time and b) they wish to leverage the investment they made with their customers first before the contribute it back to QGIS. Again Marco or Pirmin please feel free to correct  me or others if we have misrepresented your position.