[Qgis-psc] outstanding issues

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sun Nov 22 01:34:55 PST 2015

Il 22/11/2015 10:09, Giovanni Manghi ha scritto:
>> - lastly, it feels very much like conceding defeat. It's basically
>> saying QGIS is good for visualising/editing data, but don't rely on it
>> for any serious work. I don't believe this to be true at all!
>
> totally agree.

Thanks Giovanni and Nyall for this analysis. While acknowledging that
they are sound and reasonable, I'm still not fully convinced of these
arguments: we already rely on plenty of libraries, and, although we have
occasional problems, this is not a serious issue (joking: do we want to
reimplement proj.4?). The experience with GDALTools, implemented as a
frontend of GDAL, speaks the opposite.
>From another perspective: I think we just do not have the resources to
implement and fix all, and reusing the best stuff available sounds very
attractive to me.
I would prefer to invest the same energies to have a thorough test
suite: with that, we would have spotted these issue much earlier,
regardless of whether they were caused from external or internal code,
thus avoiding the trouble we are having now.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu