[Qgis-psc] Sourcepole offer to port QGIS vector analysis tool to QGIS master

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Nov 26 05:08:31 PST 2015

Hi Vincent,

While I agree with you generally - please keep in mind that the
situation is a bit different here. Sourcepole developed this
functionality already (because their customers needed more reliable
analysis functions) and we (QGIS.ORG) did not know about this
development. It wasn't coordinated. Also, no customer from Sourcepole
paid for it. It was their investment.

I was trying to find a useful compromise here, knowing that it is
against what we should do normally. But maybe the best in this situation.

I personally find it a waste of resources (both time-wise and financial
wise) if another company would redevelop everything that Sourcepole
already did from scratch.

I totally agree that this shouldn't be the norm - and that all companies
that develop stuff around QGIS should announce it and coordinate. But,
for whatever reasons, this wasn't the case here and we will have to live
with compromises.

I am also not suggesting, that QGIS.ORG should pay for  all of this, but
may co-finance it.

Let's try to establish better rules/processes for the future so that
this situation doesn't happen again, but I'd like to act pragmatic and
find the most cost-effective way - while still ensuring high quality -
of getting to our goals. Money is not abundant - neither at QGIS.ORG,
nor at the QGIS user base.

But as I understand Tim - he wants to start a bidding process anyway -
for replacing the analysis tools.

Andreas