[Qgis-psc] GRASS work progress

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 01:30:21 PDT 2015

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 10:16 PM, Tim Sutton <tim at qgis.org> wrote:

> Hi Radim
>

> I wanted to make a small request / suggestion too about the GRASS implementation in QGIS. Currently when you start QGIS compiled with GRASS (in my case 6.4 on fedora), you get a pop up at the start of QGIS asking you if you want to set GISBASE. No matter what I set there I can’t get it to recognise my GRASS. That is probably just me being dumb, but my problem is more about the popup itself - it blocks QGIS from starting which ruins e.g. tests which need to run headless and I think it isn’t a great user experience as there is no help to tell you how to locate GISBASE. What about using a QgsMessageBar or some other non-blocking technique for alerting the user to the fact that their GISBASE is not found, and providing some help on what the appropriate setting should be?

OK, I have disabled the warning dialog and I'll add GISBASE select to
options. A soft message is set from the plugin. Is there a mechanism
how to set soft message from provider?

Regarding the GISBASE itself, the search order is:
1) GISBASE environment variable
2) previously selected in the dialog (which is now disabled)
3) the location of GRASS used for compilation (cmake GRASS_BASE or GRASS_BASE7)
4) opens select dialog (now disabled)

So it seems that in your case QGIS was compiled with a version of
GRASS which is no more available. Can you find in debug output where
it looks for GRASS, something like:
src/providers/grass/qgsgrass.cpp: 411: (init) [0ms] GRASS gisBase from
configure is: /home/radim/apps-grass-7-svn/grass-7.1.svn
src/providers/grass/qgsgrass.cpp: 563: (isValidGrassBaseDir) [0ms]
isValidGrassBaseDir()
src/providers/grass/qgsgrass.cpp: 471: (init) [0ms] Valid GRASS
gisBase is: /home/radim/apps-grass-7-svn/grass-7.1.svn

Radim