[Qgis-psc] Code signing for Mac version

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Wed Sep 30 01:29:37 PDT 2015

On 30-09-15 10:01, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> Larry, do you confirm ?
> If this is the case, would the certificate used for the
> website (GlobalSign nv-sa) also work ?

I was wondering that too. We have a 'free FOSS license for that', see:
https://hub.qgis.org/login
To view it in the browser.

I contacted 'our contact' at GlobalSign, but we have a free FOSS
ssl-certificate which cannot be used for that.

To sign code they sell code-signing certificates [0] for 175 euro per
year or 429 per 3. If I understand correctly, you can also sign Windows
installers with that. I was wondering how we fixed that currently, or
can you do without that on Windows?

>> IF we host the packages ourselves, we can at least give the downloaders
>> a popup like current windows users, in which we can make a statement
>> (Tim you are much better in this wording...) like: Apple users, the
>> project had to pay money for you to get a good installer, please
>> consider a donation to give back... (and consider moving to Linux ;-) )
>
> This would be nice, and money well spent if they weren't going to Apple :)
> Is this really already happening for windows downloads already ?

Yes, try to download the windows installer (don't be afraid, you do not
have to save it to your disk ;-) ).
And this works actually very good, see all 'donor is added to list'
commits to the website:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/commits/master

Regards,

Richard