[Qgis-psc] Trade registry entry: several changes needed in charter

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Aug 29 06:59:57 PDT 2016

Hi all, Esp. Tim,

I received a letter from the trade registry office in Zurich, regarding
our application:

The following issues need to be solved:

1. Charter language:

Either we let our charter translate into german by an accredited
translation company, or we have a dual-language charter, whereas the
german translation would be used in the trade-registry. The dual
language charter would be cheaper for us (we wouldn't have to pay an
accredited translation office for each and every change). Currently
there are enough german speaking members on the board to help verify
that the two languages are in sync. I would therefore suggest to go with
the dual language charter where the german version is the official one
for the trade registry.

2. "QGIS.ORG" should be called "QGIS.ORG Association". This needs to be
changed and voted on in the charter.

3. The foundation protocol needs to be more official and contain all of
the items listed in the template provided by the trade registry. It
needs to contain a statement that all board members accept their vote. I
will propose to make a german version based on the template to make it
easier.

4. We need a clear statement in the charter which member of the board
can deal with the finances ("zeichnungsberechtigt" in german =
"authorised to sign"). I suggest that a simple signature should be good
enough for expenses within the proposed budget. Everything else would
render us incabable of action. I tried to mail back and forth between
South Africa and Switzerland. Mail with signatures simply got lost
somewhere in Africa ...

5. Every board member needs to be listed in the trade registry. It is
not enough to just list president, vice president and treasurer. We need
to discuss if the board should be really as big as it is currently is.
Every change in the board or the charter means bureaucracy and fees. Not
that I want to kick out anyone from the board - but maybe we should have
a very small "core board" mentioned in the charter in order to avoid
unnecessary fees/bureaucracy.

6. Every registered board member needs to submit a signed passport copy,
signed and verified by an official notary - or show up in person in
Zurich. Tim and I showed up and don't need this as they have seen us in
person already.

The lady of the trade registry also mentioned that the "QGIS.ORG
Association" doesn't need to register in the trade registry. Only if we
want to have a company number and/or VAT number. I reckon that we wanted
these numbers to better deal with larger sponsorships from larger
companies or organisations (such as world bank, government agencies,
Google, etc.). I also remember that some existing sponsors already asked
for VAT numbers.

Please send me your comments regarding the above issues.

Greetings,