[Qgis-psc] Draft announcement re 3.0

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Feb 8 02:21:56 PST 2016

Hi,

yes - Matthias has a plan on an intermediate transition release 2.16.

Specifically, he plans to work on:

 	* Continuous integration (Travis) - tests for both "Python2/PyQT4" as
well as "Python 3/PyQT5".
 	* Introduction of a compatibility layer that allows plugin authors to
support both Python 2 and Python 3 from the same plugin code
 	* Plugin migration tool - extension of the 2to3 Python upgrade tool
with QGIS-specific "fixers" (extensions)
 	* Updates of plugin manager, Python console, Python unit tests and
processing to support both Python 2 and Python 3

His enhancements should be first introcuded in the 2x code base and will
allow plugin authors to start supporting both Python 2 and Python 3 in
the 2x branch, and then later in the 3x branch.

It is therefore useful to start the 3.0 branch after 2.16.

In addition there is a lot of short-term polishing work planned in the
2x branchs (relations, transactions, forms, attribute-table, multi-edit,
DXF, etc.). Branching now would result in extra/unneccesary porting work
between the two branches. This is another reason why Matthias/Nyall
suggested to branch after 2.16.

Matthias is on holidays this week and probably can't answer - that's why
I answer on his behalf.

Andreas