[Qgis-psc] Draft announcement re 3.0

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Mon Feb 8 06:45:54 PST 2016

Hi Tim,

On Mon, 08. Feb 2016 at 14:01:12 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Thanks Andreas - I’ll just paraphrase the above as another note in the
> article - should make things a bit clearer!

Yes.  We do 2.16 with PyQt5/Python3 support next to the existing
Qt4/PyQt4/Python2 and the existing and widely unused Qt5 support.  So we have
all the smooth, non-breaking steps in master.   We'll still release using
Qt4/PyQt4/Python2, so that all the plugins keep working.  And people can
complete stuff that they have already started working on.

2.16 will be in the regular 4 months schedule.

After 2.16 we branch off a qgis3 branch that gets the API changes.  There we
drop Qt4/PyQt4/Python2 support and switch to Qt5/PyQt5/Python3.  Because we
cannot really estimate if that takes 4, 8 or even more months, we'll work on
that on a "release when ready" scheme an see how it goes and set a date when
qgis3 stabilized.

The qgis3 branch will be in development so at first we'll probably have
something that doesn't build at all, requires dependencies that are not easy
available or at least not available on all platforms, while we're at it.

Because there might be stuff, that can't wait that long, we meanwhile keep
master open for new features.  The nightlies can keep on going without much
effort and also regular releases could be done if necessary.

But master should still considered a dead branch as we is relies on fading
dependencies and it will be eventually be replaced by the qgis3 (no merge).  So
stuff added to master before will get lost, if it was not also merged or redone
for qgis3.  So people should think twice if they consider to do anything in
master while we're at qgis3.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode