[Qgis-psc] Next meeting and some thoughts on our approach to project governance

ElPaso elpaso at itopen.it
Wed Feb 17 09:26:14 PST 2016

Il 17/02/2016 17:28, Richard Duivenvoorde ha scritto:
> On 17-02-16 08:48, Neumann, Andreas wrote:
>> about 3)
>>
>> My personal take on this is that I am not a talented coder. I dedicate
>> my time and partially also personal funds to the project so the ones who
>> are talented core developers can dedicate their time fully to bug fixing
>> and coding and don't have to deal with stuff they are less interested
>> in. So my personal goal is to get a better QGIS from release to release
>> - and therefore in my personal view it is quite ok if more funds go into
>> bug fixing, coding, QA, etc. because other areas in the project can more
>> easily be filled by volunteers. There are potentially more people who
>> can contribute to documentation, UI and graphics work, community work,
>> marketing, website, project management, etc. than there are talented
>> core developers who have a good overview of the whole code base.
>>
>> Note - that this is my own personal opinion - and maybe not the majority
>> view of the board.
>>
>> I totally agree with Tim that funds should be spread in different areas
>> of the project. But the people working in these different areas need to
>> come up with a clear proposal how to spend these funds. They can
>> approach the board with a project. We should encourage that more.
> Honestly? Andreas, in MY view, you just do not get it, this is exactly
> wat we were talking about. You are totally viewing QGIS with your
> USER-goggle on. I hoped we were running an open software community, not
> a company to make cheap software for users only! I'd prefer a more
> stable community driven QGIS over a feature convoluted sponsored QGIS.
> But maybe you are on the right side, and I'm wrong. In that case I hope
> "QGIS-Corporation" will get enough people to do all those things
> 'easily' for free. I won't apply for the job ...
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

I'm completely with you Richard.

I understand Andreas's point of view, but I feel that the missing point
in the equation is that QGIS is a community-driven free (as in speech)
software.

IMHO, having a vibrant community on a free software project is much more
important than having a business/enterprise software.

Thank you all for bringing up this discussion, I believe that everybody
should express an opinion on this important topic.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3: www.itopen.it