[Qgis-psc] Next meeting and some thoughts on our approach to project governance

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Feb 17 16:05:56 PST 2016

Hi Anita,

My comments on UI are inline.

On 17.02.2016 20:11, Anita Graser wrote:

>> There are
> ​> ​
> potentially more people who can contribute to documentation, UI and
> graphics work,
> ​> ​
> community work, marketing, website, project management, etc. than
> there are
> ​> ​
> talented core developers who have a good overview of the whole code base.
>
> ​ Andreas, you kind of contradict yourself - at least regarding UI/UX
> - when you later (correctly) state:
sorry, if I did.

> > good UI people are quite expensive
>
> Judging from the fact that nobody is really wearing the UI/UX hat, but
> we have multiple core devs, I'd have to conclude that U​X people are
> rarer.
> You also need to be a decent developer and build QGIS yourself to do
> any UI work yourself.

Here I disagree slightly:

There are 127 people subscribed to the UX list - so at least interest
seems to be high! Ok - some may mix up the UX list with the users lists
;-) this happens from time to time.

You don't have to be a core developer to work on improving the UI.
Everybody can do dialog mockups. If you are not a developer, you
can/need to team up with a developer who can implement your ideas. I am
sure you can find a good core dev to collaborate with you, if you come
up with specific proposals. At least I always got assistance from a dev,
when I needed help.

Also testing is not too hard - it takes a bit of initial work to install
a development environment - but once this initial work is done, it is
very easy to pull the most recent changes, compile and test.

Here are two resources to help you:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/qgis/QGIS/master/INSTALL - I followed
this install/compile instructions and it works! I am not a developer,
but I can handle it.
https://gis.uster.ch/dokumentation/qgis/installation - some useful
github instructions - sorry, this is mostly in german.

Its not black magic ;-)

Also, at the developer meeting, there is a very good opportunity to get
assistance how to get a compile environment. The dev meeting is a very
good opportunity to grab a core dev and work on UI ideas ;-)

Note that I agree that the project could do/focus more on the UI aspect.
But again - there need to be clear plans, proposals and manageable
chunks of work.