[Qgis-psc] OSX 2.16 versions

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Wed Jul 27 06:52:29 PDT 2016

Hi Andreas,

On Wed, 27. Jul 2016 at 14:59:58 +0200, Neumann, Andreas wrote:
> I believe QGIS 2.16 wasn't properly announced yet - looking into
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2016-July/thread.html I
> can't see such an announcement e-mail. However, the webpage lists 2.16 -
> so I don't really know if it is really released yet or not. It is a bit
> of a mess. Of course people start tweeting before official announcements
> ... probably including myself.

Well, as Tim said it depends how you look at it.

For me the release is done when branch is done, the tag is set and the tarball
is uploaded (ie. [1])

Packaging happens after - but at some point we said that we don't announce
release before major packages (ie. windows and debian/ubuntu) are
ready.

This release was a bit ugly, because there were some probably right after:
* debian fix right after the release, introducing another problem
* api encoding problem with the release name,
* path problem also related to the release name,
* some sip problem that caused build to fail on windows,
* and very limited time on my end

Not particularly tricky stuff, but given the lengthy build process it was time
consuming as it had to be repeated a couple of times.  And there is still some
problem with plugins using unicode in their description, that might relate to
the api change regarding the release name, the release name itself or maybe
even an earlier change to the python bindings unrelated to the former.  I
didn't get to the bottom of this yet.  And there was also talk about the visual
changelog and/or website needing more time - but I couldn't follow closely
there either - I might have just picked it up as a welcome excuse ;)   Sorry.

So no announcement yet - although I noticed Anita asking Tim for a blog post -
not sure if that was done.

And friday is the next point release...

Jürgen

[1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/89a6dbd91ee821d039497dc5ddb9f0653b516afe

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode