[Qgis-psc] Changing our default response to requests/bugs?

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 03:54:01 PDT 2016

Hi,

While I see the points Nyall is raising and understand the underlying
reasons, I think one important point to be solved - and Jef has pointed it
out earlier - is when and how will this message be brought to the user.

I'm not sure it's good to have it as automatic first answer for each
feature request (I exclude bug reports as many already asked). I've
personnally made many feature requests and I  would have found borying,
spamming... to receive an answer that repeats the same thing for each new
request I wrote. It may then be counter productive.
Feature requests, at least for me, are not always features I need but
features I think could improve the existing behavior. They sound like ideas
brought to developers or funders.

For me, this kind of message needs to be stated to the user once for all
(and not every time). If he is not sensitive to it the first time, not sure
he'll get it the tenth, when he no longer reads it.
The text needs to be available everytime (without being intrusive) so a
convenient place could be our website, near (or inside) the bug reporting
section. <http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/development/bugreporting.html>
I often send people who report issues in french forum to this page so that
they see/learn the process of bug reporting. Completing this page with how
requests could be quickly treated makes sense imho. There are many people
out there ignoring how things are done in an open source project.
If/When we move to github, then a link to this page can be inserted in the
issue report template (I don't know if it's possible with the current hub).
It won't be invasive.

Last but not the least, I recall a discussion (raised by Nyall?) about
writing something (in blog or website) about the different ways to fund a
feature or bug in QGIS. Haven't seen it yet. Maybe it's time to do it.

Regards,
Harrissou