[Qgis-psc] Moving tickets to GitHub - status update?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Jun 21 12:07:33 PDT 2016

On 2016-06-21 7:19 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:

> So yes, you are right. On the other hand, if I'm correct Mapserver used
> the move to github to start more or less with a clean sheet...

The initial plan was a clean sheet, when moving MapServer from SVN to
Github, but we/PSC realized that the history is of utmost importance, so
all history (tickets, commits) were ported to Github as well (see this
message from Thomas Bonfort, who was the one scripting this back in
2012); we did keep the old Trac instance as read-only though.

Funny, I've been around so long that I lived through MapServer's initial
use of Bugzilla (still many of the hardcore miss all that
functionality), CVS repository (I made thousands of doc commits through
CVS ha, someone should give me an award for that, plus doing it all in
docbook and stylesheets, oh my), SVN (easiest and my fav), Trac (again
easy and also my fav), to Git/Github (like going to a dentist to use,
but it seems some like going to the dentist).  As the MapServer
documentation lead through all of that, I can tell you that Github has
made doc commits (darn 'pushes' and 'pulls') more frequent, so, there
you go, I can't say anything bad against it :)

I went back and read my reaction to the PSC in that first discussion,
and you know, my same comments still apply here in 2016: I don't see a
reason to not switch to Github, I don't fully understand why it is so
beneficial, but let's be sure to fund the time of the person doing all
this work.

/me literally writing from a park bench, and so more nostalgic than
normal :)

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna