[Qgis-psc] QGIS heroes

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Mar 3 04:24:01 PST 2016

Hi,

"QGIS Community Member of the Month" sounds good to me.

I agree with your proposed questions but would add:

- Regarding 1) - we already have a map of QGIS devs or conference
participants - maybe we can re-use that?

- if an item is not of importance to that community member it just could
be skipped

- optionally we could add a map/screenshot of a QGIS
project/application/plugin

- allow the QCMM (QGIS Community Member of the Month) to add an
additional item if (s)he wants to - maybe 8) allows that already ...

Thanks for your ideas,

Andreas

On 2016-03-03 12:18, Tim Sutton wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 12:50 PM, Neumann, Andreas <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The QGIS heroes idea is fine with me - as long as it doesn't result in big discussions who gets how much appreciation and that one should not favor one over the other ...
>>
>> If we could find a less "heroic" name for that it would be even better. Hero sounds a bit too epic to me. Champion may be another term, but it sounds equally heroic ...
>>
>> Maybe a native english speaker could propose a few less heroic terms that may be suitable.
>
> ​Yeah I think we can just call it something like "QGIS Community Profile: Joe Bloggs" or if we want it to be a little more adulatory than that then something like "QGIS Community Member of the Month".
>
> Here is a brain dump of some standard questions we could ask:
>
> 1) Can you share a map of where you live?
> 2) What do you do in the QGIS community?
> 3) How do you use QGIS, which are the most important features for you?
> 4) How much volunteer time do you spend on QGIS each month?
> 5) What areas do you most need help with in respect to the work you do with QGIS?
> 6) How long have you been involved on the QGIS project?
> 7) If there was one thing you could add or improve in QGIS or the QGIS community, what would it be?
> 8) Do you have any other final thoughts about your life as a QGIS community member?
> 9) How can people contact you / follow you on social media?
>
> Order could be rearranged as needed.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim​
>
> Andreas
>
> On 2016-03-01 09:21, Tim Sutton wrote: Hi
>
> On 01 Mar 2016, at 09:37, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I think our volunteers, coders and non coders, deserve more public
> acknowledgements. I'm pretty sure only a tiny percentage of QGIS users
> know about people who are making al this possible.
> Why not featuring a "QGIS hero of the month" (OK, naming can be better,
> but you got the idea :) ) on the website, to be spread over the SN, with
> a short description of what (s)he did and is doing for the project?
>
> Yeah its a really good idea. I think we could just make a standard set of questions and ask a different person each month to participate. If we do it that way it does not need to be too much overhead to actually keep doing.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
> All the best.
> --