[Qgis-psc] Plugin management: one step forward

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Fri May 27 10:21:26 PDT 2016

Hi all,
very interesting and productive meeting, just finished. Let me summarise
here the main conclusions and the steps to take:

* to make our user safer, we decided to
** Plugin manager: add a bigger warning "Use at your own risk"
** Plugin manager: make obvious to users (e.g. with a bold green tick)
which plugins are trusted; avoid any pejorative term for others (e.g.
"Untrusted")
** Pugin website: trust only core developers and those we can trust
personally
** Send an email, as kind as possible, to all others, explaining the
reason why their trust has been removed
** Plugin website: make a better use of the tag "Featured", involving
the community to select the ones to include, and keep the list dynamic
and updated
** Plugin manager: add an option "Show only featured plugins", ON by default

* we also decided to start enforcing our licence, by preparing a
standard letter to those violating it (e.g. publishing a plugin with a
non GPL compatible licence)

* there are still plugins (mostly old ones) without a proper code repo
available; we can leave them for now, aiming to clean the situation when
migrating to Python3.

Comments and help welcome.
All the best.
--