[Qgis-psc] QGIS 3 code sprint

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Nov 10 08:36:02 PST 2016

Hi Yves

> On 07 Nov 2016, at 7:27 PM, Yves Jacolin <yjacolin at free.fr> wrote:
>
> Dear PSC,
>
> Several french(-swiss) companies are interested to organized a code sprint
> before the end of  the year.
>
> As said in a previous mail last week, we (OSGeo-fr) are organizing an user
> meeting on the 1st and 2nd of December in Montpellier. Unfortunately we can't
> organized a code sprint there and decided to organized it independently of the
> user meeting.
>
> This code sprint would take place in Lyon either in 29-29 November or 12-13
> December in regards of the feedback of the community [1].
>
> We (Camptocamp, 3Liz, Oslandia) will focuse on QGIS v3, especially QGIS Server
> (but other developers are welcome to work on other parts).
>
> We asked support from OSGeo-fr and still waiting the answer. We would like
> with this email to formalize the QGIS Code sprint organisation and discuss the
> possibilities to QGIS org to fund some  developer trip if needed.
>
> This is quiet short to organized this so we will focused on lunch and dinner
> and location, no more (well if we find a location for a nice dinner it will be
> great). We will share a call for sponsorship program quickly this week.
>
> Régis and I are the current organizer team and official contacts. Régis will
> post here the wiki page for the code sprint so you can register soon.

Sorry from my side also for the lack of feedback sooner. I think everything you present in the email sounds fine (and great to see local sprint efforts). In terms of funding, Andreas would be better informed if we have any spare funds but there is also the larger question of if when and how we should fund local events. Personally I think first priority should go to our twice yearly international events, but I think it would not be unreasonable to plan some part of our budget to ad hoc regional events on a first come first served basis until the budget is used up. Perhaps this is something we can incorporate into our next annual budget Andreas?

> Thanks,
>
> Y.
> [1] https://framadate.org/qgisCodeSprintv3-2016_______________________________________________

—