[Qgis-psc] QGIS 3 code sprint

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Tue Nov 15 22:20:45 PST 2016

Hi

> On 14 Nov 2016, at 6:31 PM, Yves Jacolin <yjacolin at free.fr> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> From my first email a lot of good news appear. We have now 4 sponsors so we
> probably ok with the fundings. We need to focus now on the lunch and dinner.

This is good news! Go French chapter go!

>> While I think that meetings are useful/important to discuss things,
>> meetings usually are not the place where much code is produced. Besides,
>> with github and mailing lists we have good platforms to discuss issues
>> also without a meeting. I think we should concentrate our meeting
>> expenses to the two annual global meetings we have - as it is at these
>> meetings where most core devs meet at once. It is also quite unlikely
>> that most core devs can come to much more than two meetings in a year,
>> because they are either too far away or have contract work to do.
> Well, I kindly disagree with this. Meeting could be a good way to get much
> code produced.

I'm in the middle : I don't think we want to get into the position where we are being continually asked for funds for things that are better managed at local country level. But I also don't think we should be too rigid, and if it looks like using QGIS funds will accelerate or facilitate development work through a sprint, it should be at least considered. Having a bit of discretionary funding set aside would be useful for future budgets.