[Qgis-psc] Plugin Repository Policy

Trevor Wiens tsw.web at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 07:32:18 PST 2016

I had been suggesting a two tiered system if the trusted user status was
going to be reserved for folks only for developers who came to hack fests.
Since however Paolo suggests I can request trusted status like I had had in
the past I will make that request.

The basis of my request is a question of speed in response to fixing bugs
for my clients. I suppose it would be easy to continue running my own
repository for that purpose but it would be easier to have trusted status
and not need to run an independent repository.

I do think it is important to control creation of new plug ins to avoid
duplication but I had assumed that this was managed separately from
approval.

Ultimately I don't want to cause problems and I know Paolo has a volunteer
big job and I don't like bothering him when I need a rapid approval.

TSW

On Nov 21, 2016 07:41, "ElPaso" <elpaso at itopen.it> wrote:

Il 21/11/2016 15:25, Matthias Kuhn ha scritto:

> Hi Paolo
>
> On 11/21/2016 03:06 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>
>> Il 19/11/2016 21:29, Paolo Cavallini ha scritto:
>>
>>> Il 19 novembre 2016 20:08:37 CET, Trevor Wiens <tsw.web at gmail.com> ha
>>> scritto:
>>> I think we can fix this.
>>>
>> Hi all,
>> elaborating on this:
>> * one of the faces of the problem is that all the plugin management is
>> voluntary, so we have to do it according to the availability of time;
>> nonetheless, I believe the average time of approval is under 2 days,
>> which seems reasonable to me
>>
> Sounds fair enough.
> And at the same time: thank you for continuously taking care!
>
> * generally speaking, the approval process looks pretty successful to
>> me: it is relatively sleek, and it allowed to avoid duplications,
>> merging similar plugins, and generally improving their quality
>>
> Agreed, I'd say it's pragmatic and a good ratio between complexity and
> result.
>
> * one issue I have is that I get notifications of new plugins, but not
>> of submission of new versions, so in more busy periods this can cause a
>> few days of delay; perhaps we should improve that; in the meantime, you
>> can always ping me in case of urgent stuff.
>> I'm pretty confident this can fix your issues. In case this proves
>> wrong, please apply for trusted status, and the PSC will decide on that.
>>
> I'm not sure I completely understand all classes of plugins/devs. I
> think there was a possibility for automatic approval even before the
> trusted authors system. Have the two statuses been merged
> (trusted/auto-approval)?

A trusted user is a user that has auto-approval permissions, the "only" new
thing since Girona is that this information was exposed in the plugins.xml
response and it's now available in plugin manager.

Cheers.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3: www.itopen.it