[Qgis-psc] Setting a minimum amount for PayPal donations

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Dec 13 00:25:52 PST 2017

On 12-12-17 21:50, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
>> On 12 Dec 2017, at 15:50, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net
>> <mailto:a.neumann at carto.net>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi PSC,
>>
>> We have the issue that every couple days we have to refund small
>> payments on PayPal that were done by criminals. They use stolen credit
>> card data and send a small payment to someone who accepts small
>> payments and that likely wouldn't appear on the radar of the original
>> holder of the credit card - to test if the credit card still works and
>> is accepted. Typically they do sub-Euro transactions.
>>
>> I wonder if it would help to avoid such activities by setting a
>> minimum amount for PayPal donations to 5 or 10 Euros ...
>>
>> Richard: do you think that would help to scare such criminals away? I
>> think you had a talk to a PayPal rep about this topic?
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> From a technical point of view I would have to investigate if this is
>> possible at all ...
>>
> I suspect that paying 5 or 10 euros would not matter either to the
> criminals - I had my card details stolen once and the person bought KFC
> in USA before trying to buy a larger item from a hardware store…I think
> the benefit to them is more that the charge attempt can be made without
> being present for a security person to catch them if it goes wrong. That
> said it is worth trying different things to see if we can identify ways
> to change their behaviour by experimentation...

If I'm right, it is easy to set up a minimal amount. I would say 1 euro,
given Andreas says sub-Euro, and I think those criminal typically take
the easiest/cheapest catch. So let's set minimum to 1 euro?
I can take care of that, I think it could be set in the 'making' of the
button which we use...

Besides I think we should be as non-responsive as possible for such
'dispute'-requests. Hopefully this makes both Criminals/Paypal try other
solutions for this handling...

Regards,

Richard