[Qgis-psc] Documentation work

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Jan 9 05:43:03 PST 2017

Hi Harrissou,
thanks for your thoughts. My comments inline.

Il 09/01/2017 13:37, DelazJ ha scritto:

> For the writing side, I naively thought in the past that the main
> barrier for contributors was the lack of precise instructions/how-tos
> (it could have been for me) but despite our efforts to build guidelines
> more descriptive and complete (with step-by-steps), few new contributors
> joined us and they were very brief.

I hope not to be too provocative, but I start wondering whether this
lack of interest reflects a relative little usage of the documentation.
After all, these days there is still lots of people really reading a
long manual? Maybe most users want just about the same information ready
at hand, with an help button close to the functions they are using. So
the efforts by Richard and others to have a complete help system within
the application could be a more fruitful approach?
Of course, the content is essentially the same, it's just the accession
method which could be more immediately useful, and possibly attracting
more writers (e.g. by adding a link "Documentation missing? Write your
own").
But perhaps I'm wrong, and we should be more traditional.

> The Training Manual: this one is an useful document for beginners but
> was written for QGIS 2.0 (?). It has got some fixes since, but also has
> a bunch of issue reports that are not easy to tackle imho if you are not
> the author nor had followed the exercices (which is my case but i might
> not be alone among writers). I can't tell how closer it's currently with
> recent releases but I wonder what it'll be with QGIS 3 (e.g., some
> plugins/tools described in the manual like SPIT or Raster Terrain
> Analysis have been removed in recent months... and could require some
> exercices to be reorganized)

I can take care of the Processing part of the Training Manual (I am
doing it already, as the opportunity arises, and I can do it in a more
structured way).

All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu