[Qgis-psc] The inevitable question: extending freeze for 3.0?

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Tue Jul 11 03:31:47 PDT 2017

Hi Andreas,

On Sun, 09. Jul 2017 at 15:44:15 +0200, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> +1 for pushing the feature freeze back from Mid August for at least one more
> month. End of September would be a reasonable date.
>
> I am also in favour of having more than one month for bug fixing before we
> release 3.0
>
> There are so many changes that went into the 3.x (master) branch and there
> will be more than usual bugs. So I am afraid that one month of bug fixing is
> not enough to get a reasonably stable and useful release.

So be it.  As already drafted for the PSC meeting last night the 2.99 feature
freeze was moved four weeks ahead and extended for four weeks.  So the feature
freeze is now on 2017-09-15 (66 days away) and the 3.0 release on 2017-11-24
(136 days away).

I updated the schedule on the website accordingly (now fed from the google
sheet) to reflect the new dates.

The release release references were also rephrased a bit to make it clearer,
that while the new LTR is also the latest release, the long-term package
repositories are still updated from the previous LTR branch (rationale:
different versions in the two repositories with a "stabler" LTR version in the
ltr repository).

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode