[Qgis-psc] Current financial situation (discussion around QGIS server funding)

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Thu Jun 29 23:14:33 PDT 2017

Hi Tim, Brent, all,

During the voting process of QGIS server funding, Brent Wood, voting
member, asked about the current situation. Of course this is a valid
request and I should have provided the information upfront.

This document (link below) is the 2017 budget, in a separate column I
filled in the actual income and expenses (with today's date):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18gwm83ENnIqNk0Hul-OlqggTHU4QeTqA-DvPmX8kK88/edit#gid=0

you probably have to ask for permissions, if you want to access this
document.

In the very bottom, you can also find the current bank balance.

Note that the QGIS server contribution was not originally in the budget,
that's why you can't find it there, once we decided - and if positiv, paid,
I will add it in the actual expenses column.

I do think that the additional investment in QGIS server makes sense,
because

a) the Essen dev meeting was less expensive than budgeted and we have a
promise that the FOSSGIS asssocation,  Germany, will support this hackfest
with 2.5 k € (not received yet)
b) as it appears, the 16 k € in the 2.18 bug fixing section won't be fully
exploited (unfortunately the core devs are too busy to work on bug fixing,
which I do regret because I think more efforts and funds should go into bug
fixing and QA)
c) the bank balance on January 1 was € 45'370 - so we have some reserves,
even if there is a small loss during 2017
d) it is important to get refactoring and API breaking changes in to 3.0 -
after that there can't be any API changes for probably 2 years
e) on the income side we are well on track with >50 % of the estimated
income already received, esp. regarding the sponsorships

Hope this makes sense - if you have more questions regarding our funds,
please do ask!

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)