[Qgis-psc] Release schedule

Matthias Kuhn 🌍 matthias at opengis.ch
Fri Jun 30 02:50:38 PDT 2017

Hi Jürgen

On 06/30/2017 09:59 AM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:

> Well, to me that's mainly because we always feed two (or three including the
> master nightlies) repositories with packages - and it makes not much sense to
> me to put the same packages into two repositories while the new LTR is also the
> latest release.  So we keep building the previous LTR in that time.  We can
> still add fixes - but don't have to (the year has already passed).

Yes, putting the same packages in different repos really doesn't make
sense. What we could do though is to change the label on the download
page (this still lists 2.14 as LTR which I think is no longer true).

> We also have had problems right away after a new release, so replacing the LTR
> in the LTR repositories later is a good move.  And I suppose LTR users like
> stability more than new versions.   If they don't they can still switch
> repositories.

I also like to put it this way. At the time when 2.8 and 2.14 were
shipped in parallel I still referred to 2.8 as LTR and 2.14 as
soon-to-be-LTR. This "promotion" with the 4th patch release gives it a
nice quality control badge "ready for deployment to mission critical
infrastructure".

And - as you probably figured out - the whole 3.2 as LTR schedule which
I am lobbying for here is based on this notion and terminology ;)

>> Something else to consider would be a bit of extra time in feature freeze for
>> 3.0 to have time to thoroughly check all the intrusive changes that have
>> landed in this release (I think there was a discussion about this at some
>> point).
>
>> It would be nice to get a feedback from other active developers outside
>> the PSC for this question (Nathan, Martin, Nyall, ...)
>
> Sure, I'd say we can only move the feature freeze to an earlier point, if the
> pending feature work can be completed in time for that.

Let's forward this to the developers list then

Matthias