[Qgis-psc] QGIS 2.18 bug fixing effort

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Tue May 16 15:10:37 PDT 2017

HI Nyall,

> This is already fixed in 3.0. Now the default behaviour is to
> terminate an algorithm when encountering an invalid geometry
> (controllable by users - this behavior has a significant performance
> impact!)

great! but an integrated way to *fix* the geometries and so allow user
to their job
without large headaches is very important! see below

>> Would each
>> copy of spatialite shipped with QGIS be compiled with support for
>> ST_Makavalid I could add a check to have the geometries fixed
>> beforehand and in a complete transparent way (bad geometries are the
>> real problem for the tools we used to call "ftools").
>
> That's not necessary - makeValid is available in the QGIS geometry
> class in 3.0 now. We could potentially add an option to "auto repair"
> invalid geometries in processing too (...but performance impact etc
> etc...).

great again! this option is to me "mandatory" to have! I agree not
active by default, but
definitevely as option *within* the tool being used, this would be a
enormous leap forward in usability.

> On that note...
>
> Unfortunately I've got some MAJOR breakage coming soon for processing
> 3.0 as I finish off the last part of the c++ conversion. It's
> definitely going to break algorithms, and we'll need lots of testing
> before release to make sure I can fix any regressions which occur.
> Things are going to get a lot rougher here before they get better!

count me in for testing.

cheers!

-- G --