[Qgis-psc] Funding QGIS Server enhancement - remove old QgsWXSProjectParser

RĂ©gis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Sat May 20 07:37:55 PDT 2017

Hi All,
Sorry for being late here.

The big picture of what needs to be done has been drawn at the codesprint
in Lyon [0].

We know that Camp2Camp has a benchmark framework that would address the
performance driven coding.

3liz is involved in adding more modularity and refactors other services.

Alessandro Passoti is committed in refactoring the plugin API.

Beyond those cleanups or rewrites, we also identified the need to find a
common strategy to allow scalability of QGIS server (caching layers and
project over server clusters)

At Oslandia, we have funders that helped us in refactoring of WMS services,
OGC compliancy, security and performance issues. We keep working on these
items on our owns resources.

Currently, our partners claim for some feedback before considering funding
more work :

 - Having some official feedback that this work is appreciated and welcome
by the qgis.org project

 - Having some references (web pages, blog, talks) showing that pushing
this work is triggering commitment from others parties, if possible other
corporations.

 - and of course, see some real preliminary results of the already done
tasks.

I think that the PSC could help in the communication plan to help funders
feel that they are not alone, and that there is a large community trusting
in the future of QGIS server and working hard on it.

On our side, we have some web articles ready to publish, we will have a
common talk with 3liz at the Foss4G Europe in Paris.

That said, any additional funding is more than welcome, but I'd prefer to
set up a common strategy than individual fundings.
Crowdfunding initiative in France are almost impossible to raise for
private structures, so if QGIS.org is going this way, we'll need a proxy in
front the different involved parties, and we'll have to coordinate on the
funding attributions.
Last point, Nyall has already a crowdfuding campaign opened, so not sure if
that could interfer or not (and we need that composer rewrite :) )

Cheers, and thanks for all the good energy being given here!

[0] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/wiki/Code-Sprint-QGIS-3-Lyon,-end-2016