[Qgis-psc] Requiring adequate plugin descriptions

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue May 23 00:29:20 PDT 2017

Hi all,

Il 22/05/2017 21:53, Richard Duivenvoorde ha scritto:
> On 22-05-17 18:01, Tim Sutton wrote:

>> I wonder if we should not require / strongly request that plugin authors
>> provide a detailed description of their plugins so that a user wanting
>> to choose a plugin from the repo knows what they will get. From the
>> above plugin description (while it may be a great plugin), it is not
>> really obvious what you will get when you install it. Perhaps a
>> screenshot with each would be nice too....
>
> Yes, I've been thinking about that too...
>
> What about forcing to answer 2 questions in the description in > 50
> words or so..:
> - what does this plugin do
> - which problem does this plugin solve for me
> (or ... whatever better guiding questions people can come up with).
>
> Another thing I would like to make better in plugins in general, is that
> they plugins should make use of QgsNetworkAccessManager instead of home
> brew urllib2/requests/.... solutions, which most of the times do not
> make use of proxy settings (and machinery there is already in Qt to make
> sure that a kerberos-identification-proxy is working ok..). I've seen in
> several bigger QGIS-install that this was giving problems as some
> plugins worked and some of them not.
>
> Screenies whould be good, BUT from where would these be served?
> IF we want to create new (stricter?) rules for (a certain class of)
> plugins, we should make them up NOW as now the 3.0 approved list is
> still short.

Totally agreed. As you know, I'm since long advocating more stringent
requirements, so your proposal is very much welcome.
As for the image, it may be useful for some plugin, useless for others.
If someone has the time to implement it, it would be much welcomed,
though it is not a priority IMHO.
How we should proceed? Should we vote on this, or accept it straight
away and update the instruction page accordingly?
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu