[Qgis-psc] Performance regressions (was QGIS 2.18 bug fixing effort)

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu May 25 01:20:53 PDT 2017

On 25-05-17 00:41, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> expected. The majority of QGIS' load time occurs with loading the
> processing plugin, and specifically with adding all the providers and
> algorithms. So given the vastly increased number of algorithms
> available in 2.18 vs 2.14, it's a natural (but unfortunate) side
> effect. I think we'll have to just live with this in 2.x. For 3.x we
> could probably move the algorithm/provider initialization to a
> background

Yes, Yes, please! What about showing the QGIS application first and THEN
start loading (in background) the plugins (and other registring
components), showing the 'loading further components...' in the statusbar?

I'm in a governamental environment now, running QGIS in thin-client
enviroments, and the startup time of QGIS is horrible there (like
several minutes sometimes).
>From what I googled, it seems to have something to do with compiling all
py classes again. So doing that part in the background would (I hope) be
great.

It is not clear to me what the exact implications are, but given you can
reload plugins during a QGIS run, it looks to me feasible?

A fast starting application is always a good PR starter...

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde