[Qgis-psc] Application for tax exemption of QGIS.ORG in Switzerland

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Oct 6 04:54:25 PDT 2017

Hi,

Now that we have founded QGIS.ORG and did the trade registry entry, the
next step I want to do is the application for tax exemption.

I am collecting arguments why QGIS.ORG is non-profit and should be
accepted for tax exemption. Here are the arguments I have so far:

 	* QGIS.ORG is Open Source
 	* QGIS software is available free of charge for everyone (worldwide)
with no restrictions
 	* Many public administrations throughout the world and especially also
within Switzerland (provinces and muncipalities) are using QGIS
 	* The QGIS.ORG board and PSC does not get any renumerations other than
renumerations of travel expenses
 	* QGIS.ORG is used by UN and World-Bank and often recommended or even
required for development aid projects
 	* QGIS, being free of charge and with no restrictions, allows poorer
countries and NGOs to use GIS software and document and analyze their
infrastructure and assets

Do you have more arguments to add in this list? Are there other
countries where QGIS already has a tax exemption status? I know that the
QGIS user group in Germany has tax exemption status - I will certainly
quote that.

Can we quote or list NGO organizations that use QGIS for humanitarian
purposes?

For those who can read german, here are the two relevant documents
describing the requirements that organizations can apply for tax
exemption:

https://www.steueramt.zh.ch/internet/finanzdirektion/ksta/de/steuerfragen/steuerbefreite_institutionen/_jcr_content/contentPar/downloadlist_1/downloaditems/113_1327660079781.spooler.download.1327642874430.pdf/Kreisschreiben+Nr.+12+vom+08.07.1994_ESTV.pdf

and

https://www.steueramt.zh.ch/internet/finanzdirektion/ksta/de/steuerfragen/steuerbefreite_institutionen/_jcr_content/contentPar/downloadlist_2/downloaditems/114_1327660174793.spooler.download.1327659884295.pdf/Merkblatt_Steuerbefreiungsgesuch2012.pdf

Thanks for your help,