[Qgis-psc] Trademark issues

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Apr 11 06:11:51 PDT 2018

Hi all,

I re-read and re-thought to our trademark page
https://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/trademark/index.html
and my conclusions are that we already covered contentious issues.
I suggest, as we mostly agree during the latest PSC meeting, to remove
the last entry of the FAQ:
---
Q: Domain Name Registration Consent: My organization has applied to
register an internet domain name which includes the element QGIS. If we
enter into a permission, will QGIS consent to our registration?

A: QGIS and the QGIS permission have no control over the registration of
domain names, which are distinct from trademarks (see related FAQs
above). QGIS does not oppose the registration of domain names. You do
not need a permission to use a domain name which includes QGIS, unless
you use your QGIS domain name as a trademark.
---
As a consequence, I would ask to both cases under scrutiny (qgis.online
and qgis.pro) to refrain from using qgis as a part of their domain name,
and write clearly in their page that the project does not have a direct
affiliation with QGIS project.
On the other hand, I would invite both to join the community.

How does it sound?

All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu