[Qgis-psc] Draft: funding for bugfixing

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Apr 26 07:45:37 PDT 2018

hm - I feel a bit uncomfortable suggesting amounts. It depends so much
on the country of the donor on what is reasonable.

We had donations from 10 cents up to 1000 and the sponsorship amounts
are already well-known, I think.

It is also different for private persons vs. professionals vs. the a
smaller vs. a larger organization.

What would you suggest?

Andreas

On 2018-04-26 15:48, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> [...]
> thanks for the suggestions, I like the idea. So we could add the minimum
> targets:
> * xxx before 2018-05-18 (for 3.2)
> * yyy before 2018-09-14 (for 3.4)
> Andreas, could you please suggest an amount, based on previous investments?
> All the best.
>
> Il 26/04/2018 14:10, Saber Razmjooei ha scritto:
>
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> Figures from previous years can give some indications about the amount
>> to set.
>>
>> Regards
>> Saber
>>
>> On Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 12:41 Andreas Neumann, <andreas at qgis.org
>> <mailto:andreas at qgis.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Paolo,
>>
>> Thanks for your text. It reads well.
>>
>> One could think about adding a link to the financial report. See
>> https://www.qgis.org/en/_downloads/PublicQGISfinancialreport2017.pdf
>> - some text along - see how we use the available funds at URL xxx
>>
>> The suggestion from Saber is something to discuss. The possible
>> deadlines are the feature freezes of QGIS 3.2 and 3.4. Not so sure
>> about recommended amounts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andreas
>>
>> On 26 April 2018 at 11:37, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it
>> <mailto:cavallini at faunalia.it>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> following the discussion in our latest PSC, I prepared a draft
>> letter to
>> users and potential donors. I'd greatly appreciate your
>> comments, then
>> we can spam it around.
>> All the best.
>> ===
>> Dear QGIS user,
>> as you know, QGIS 3 has been recently published. This version
>> implied
>> big changes in the code structure that, in addition to the new
>> functionalities already exposed, makes our code base more modern and
>> easier to further expand and improve.
>> As expected, these changes triggered a series of new issues,
>> that you
>> the users are helping to discover and document. Our objective is to
>> eliminate at least the most important of them in time for what
>> will be
>> our next LTR (3.4, due in October[0 [1]]). The resources directly
>> available
>> from QGIS.ORG <http://QGIS.ORG> funds are limited, and we
>> already invested in QGIS 3.0 far
>> more than we have done for any earlier version.
>> This would therefore be the right timing for users, and
>> particularly for
>> power users, larger institutions and enterprises, to invest in QGIS
>> bugfixing, and we encourage to do it now. You have a number of
>> different
>> directly
>> for the bugs that annoy you most, sponsoring our foundation[2 [2]], or
>> donating[3 [3]].
>> Feel free to contact us for further details if necessary.

Links:
------
[1]
[4] http://www.faunalia.eu