[Qgis-psc] QGIS 2.18 EOL approaching?

Mathieu Pellerin nirvn.asia at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 01:08:57 PST 2018

Jumping in the discussion to offer thoughts on the bigger picture here:
while we have a few dozen regressions filed against 3.4 LTR, it's also true
that 3.4 LTR has _countless_ fixes and refinements - not referring to new
features here - when compared to 2.18 which adds a big amount of positive
in the balance here.

Big +1 to using the near EOL of 2.X to advocate for some funding to address
the remaining regressions, and a huge -1 to the idea of extending the
lifespan of 2.18 LTR.

Beyond the feasibility issues of a zero regression target, IMHO we would
simply make ourselves and our users a disservice. Beyond the platform
improvements of (Qt5, Python3, etc.) and the above-mentioned fixes and
refinements 3.X, which users can safely embrace as of 3.4.3, the reality of
the 2.18.X branch is that the code is so divergent from master that it's
essentially "retired" code. Most of the fixes committed to master / 3.4 LTR
can't be straightforwardly backported to 2.18.X anymore. EOL for 2.18 is
simply mirroring a code reality as of the end of 2018.

Math