[Qgis-psc] More information on the tax situation

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Feb 2 02:59:23 PST 2018

Hi,

Ok - I found out a bit more about what the tax situation means:

Here the german version:

-------------

Grundsätzlich unterliegen Vereine der Steuerpflicht. Allerdings wird ein
Jahresgewinn unter Fr. 10'000 und ein Vereinsvermögen unter Fr. 100'000
nicht besteuert.
Mitgliederbeiträge an die Vereine werden nicht zum steuerbaren Gewinn
gezählt.
Ab 1.01.2018 (Steuerperiode 2018) werden Jahresgewinne, sofern sie
höchstens Fr. 20'000 betragen, nicht besteuert.

-----------------------

I try to summarize what it means:

the yearly profit (income minus expenses) below 20'000 CHF is not taxed
(starting from January 2018). Funds below 100'000 CHF are not taxed
either (relevant is the bank account situation on December 31). I think
both thresholds can be easily undercut - if the developers who work on
bug fixing or other infrastructure work for QGIS always send me the
invoices in time (before end of the year). We don't plan to accummulate
funds anyway. What we have as income from donations and sponsorships
should be spent in the same year, if possible.

On the VAT situation:

Donations are not subject to VAT, but sponsorships are subject to VAT  -
if we do advertising for sponsors (see the discussion around the listing
of URLs to company webpages). Membership fees also wouldn't be subject
to VAT - if the membership fees and categories are equal to all and
declared in a transparent way.

This situation raises for me the question if we could either get rid of
"sponsorships" and call them "donations" or introduce a "membership fee"
instead of sponsorings with different categories based on an
organizations size. Sponsors would become members. This would be more
complicated, because members can usually also vote and influence the
association. Not sure if we want that. It would complicate the already
quite complex structure of our voting process.

Another negative effect of not being tax exempt are the higher Paypal
transfer fees and the fact that some organizations may have a policy
that they can only support organizations that are declared tax exempt.

Anyway - I am still in contact with an Open Source lobbying organization
in Switzerland to see if they can help us in our situation. They also
have lawyers - but so far the lawyers did not respond - only the
president of the organization.

Will keep you updated. Something to discuss on the upcoming PSC meeting.
Sorry to bore you with this stuff - but somehow we should find a
solution here.