[Qgis-psc] PSC on Monday

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 15:04:26 PST 2018

On 3 February 2018 at 03:52, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Hi all,
> on Monday I'd like to talk also about the proposal of removing grass and
> saga providers from Processing. Is that OK for all, or better keep on
> discussing on qgis-dev?

Hi Paolo,

I fully support discussing this option and making an official decision
- BUT - will Victor or Alex be invited to discuss? It seems odd to me
to discuss the future of an area of code of which they are the
maintainers without their direct input.

I'm very concerned that the outcome of this discussion will be "keep
the providers in core, QGIS can maintain". Which effectively is just
saying "Victor, Alex, here's a bunch of work we've decided you HAVE to
do". (Slightly exaggerated in order to convey what I'm trying to say
better).

If the discussion is just "on a theoretical level, do we want to ship
out-of-the-box providers which rely on 3rd party applications which
are not always available (or usable) on QGIS installs, or should these
ALWAYS be published through the plugin repo", then ignore my concerns!
The issue of manpower and if anyone wants to maintain them can be
decided later.

Nyall