[Qgis-psc] Bad news: negative reply from Zurich tax office

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Jan 29 11:51:41 PST 2018

Dear PSC members and community,

Unfortunately I got a negative reply for my application of tax exemption
from the Zurich tax office. For those who can read German I attach the
letter.

They claim that our statutes imply that we follow an economic intent, by
dealing with software development, bug fixing and marketing of free
software. They also state, that in general they don't do tax exemptions
for Open Source associations. Clearly, they don't understand how Open
Source works.

This comes at a real surprise to me, because when I had a look at the
list of tax-exempted organizations in Zurich, that seem to follow quite
clearly an economic intent, whereas I have the impression that there is
a lot of voluntary work going into QGIS with the intent to make GIS
software available to the ones who otherwise could not afford to use GIS
software. Because the german QGIS user group got tax exemption in
Germany, I had the impression that a similar thing in Switzerland is
only a formality - apparently not.

What are the next steps? First I will ask other Open Source
organizations in Switzerland about this topic and if they think,
something could be done about it. Otherwise, I will suggest, that we
move our organization to a country that better values all the voluntary
efforts that go in to Open and free software. Any suggestions of other
countries who may host QGIS.ORG international?

For the budget, it will mean that I can't commit to additional QGIS 3
bug fixing currently - I will set aside a couple thousand Euros for tax
payments.

I also don't know how to deal with VAT in upcoming sponsorship invoices
- should I add the 7.7% VAT on top of the sponsorship amounts, or should
we declare that the sponsorship already includes VAT, meaning that from
a € 500.- sponsorship we can only keep € 461.5 ?

Any opinions and suggestions?

Anyway - I deeply apologize for my failing to deal with the matter - and
I apologize for the misbehaviour of my country's tax office. Apparently,
people and organizations are not "equal" in my country. While very
powerful organizations like the world soccer organization (FIFA), the
olympics and the world economic forum are tax exempt - organizations
that have turnovers in the billions - small organizations with lots of
voluntary people like QGIS cannot be tax exempt. I am personally very
disappointed.