[Qgis-psc] [QGIS-Developer] Bringing back a *highly curated* blocker tag on redmine?

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 00:16:04 PST 2018

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 12:22 AM, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to raise the idea of resurrecting the "blocker" tag on
> redmine. I understand the reasons behind its original removal, and
> fully agree that the new process is working much better.
>
> BUT...
>
> We have two extremely serious issues open against QGIS 3.0, which I
> think SHOULD block the release. These are:
>
> https://issues.qgis.org/issues/17985 : Huge memory leak with NULL
> attributes in Python
> https://issues.qgis.org/issues/17916 : Crashes and instability with Qt
> 5.10
>
> I don't think we can proceed with any 3.0 release while these two
> issues are unsolved.
>
> That's why I'd like to see the blocker tag brought back, but with it
> actually BLOCKING the release (vs the previous definition, which
> ultimately just meant "hey please fix this because it impacts me a
> lot!"). And I'd like to see it highly curated to avoid users tagging
> their own pet bugs with it.
>
> Thoughts?

I think that a carefully used BLOCKER tag makes a lot of sense.

There are some bugs that we should definitely not be part of a release or
this will seriously impact user's trust in QGIS both as a software and as a
community.

I also suggest that the ones who take care of the bug queue (kind of QA
managers) should be in charge of managing and lifting the blocker tag.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it