[Qgis-psc] Enable Probot-Stale on qgis/QGIS

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 14:24:15 PDT 2018

On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 at 05:08, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Il 26/06/2018 21:05, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
> > Hi Matthias
> >
> > From memory I think I proposed something like this before and there was
> > some resistance so we never did it. If the resistance is gone yay :-)
>
> Hi all,
> I'm always a bit concerned about automatic discarding the work of
> others. Would this be after a fixed time, or only if the author fails to
> reply after a while?
> All the best.

I guess one of the big lessons from the recent push on taming the PR
queue is that orphaned PRs are of little value to the project, because
even the most trivial of fixes can take substantial time for someone
else to step in and get to a merge ready state. We really need PRs to
be merged (or deemed as invalid by the original submitter) ASAP, while
the original submitter is still motivated to see their work merged.
Basically the best way to do this is to keep the pressure on them to
answer in a timely fashion and address changes rapidly.

FWIW, I'd much rather some anonymous bot closes work based on some
pre-decided logic (like Matthias is proposing), then require one of
our usual maintainers to be "the bad guy" who goes through and blocks
other's work.

And as Tim & Matthias have already commented, the work isn't lost,
it's just pushed back to the original submitter's responsibility to
fix up and reopen/resubmit.

Nyall