[Qgis-psc] Discussion around changing sponsors to members in QGIS.ORG

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Nov 21 13:02:58 PST 2018

Dear PSC (and active contributors),

I would like to discuss if we could change our statutes again (sorry
about that - and of course only if you agree - we can vote on it).

The idea is to change our current sponsorships we have to a membership
in the future. As it is now it would be purely voluntary - and they
wouldn't have voting rights. We could call them "sustaining members" or
"supporting members" and we could still keep different membership
categories. Instead of calling them gold/silver/bronze, we would could
them something like small (the current bronze), normal (the current
silver), large (the current gold) - or something similar (perhaps you
have better ideas about the naming) - just to make sure it is not a
sponsorship anymore - and gold/silver/bronze is quite attached to
sponsorships.

Why would I suggest such a change?

* There is a good chance that our sponsorship payments will reach a
limit (150k CHF = approx. 130k €), if we would surpass that limit, then
we would have to charge VAT on the sponsorship payments

* on the other hand membership fees of an association are not subject to VAT

* a membership could be easier for public authorities to pay, instead of
a sponsorship

* Maybe organizations are more likely to renew a membership fee than a
sponsorship (maybe more commitment) - but not sure about that.

* we would still have a public listing of sustaining members (with their
logos, website and location), but we wouldn't call them sponsors anymore

* Members are welcome to add a donation on top of the membership fee.
This would be similar to now. Some bronze sponsors maybe voluntarily pay
1500 instead of 500, but are still listed as bronze, until they would
surpass the threshold of the next level.

We can discuss or think about if we can give such sustaining/supporting
members some additional benefits (which would help attract more of them)
- e.g. a small member could name 2 bugs that get prioritized during bug
fixing time, for normal it would be 5 and for large some maybe 10. Or
maybe you would have some other ideas about benefits for such members
instead. I think they shouldn't have voting rights - that should stay
with the current voting members (the active contributors, user groups
and developers).

Thoughts?

Greetings,