[Qgis-psc] again about the bug tracker

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Wed Oct 24 02:15:23 PDT 2018

Hi Denis,

On Thu, 11. Oct 2018 at 13:06:00 -0400, Denis Rouzaud wrote:
> Well to me the end goal in this project is *getting a new bug tracker* not
> *migrating to a complete open-source solution*. That's maybe that's the
> root of our difference in point of view.

To me the goal would be to "get a better bug tracker".  And IMHO it still
hasn't been demonstrated that other bug trackers are not only different, but
better.  So much better that it's worth the migration.

github's bugtracker's big advantage would be that it's better integrated to the
rest of github we currently use.  But that's probably just because there's no
option to integrate anything else on github - and we can't do anything about
that (because it's not free - IMHO this is what is open source's top strength -
not philosophy).

I'm not convinced that it's better otherwise (but I also wasn't when we
switched from trac either - not sure if that was a worthwhile step, except
for the control we gained by doing so).

If github's bugtracker isn't better, we'd also have to move the rest to get
something better integrated (or just add the missing link to redmine).  Anyhow
that would make the task of migration even bigger.  That's where gitlab may
come in.

Bottom line we don't have a consensus how to move forward and getting everyone
aboard would required setting it up upfront.  But nobody is sure everyone or at
least a majority will like that better and so all the work might in the end
just turn out to be something that we don't want.

BTW the mail probem was not related to redmine at all - just to gmail becoming
more picky about senders (if this was actually a new problem) & the missing SPF
record in qgis' DNS.  The mail notification about something I just changed is
usually the next mail in my folder to the one that led to the change - so it's
instantly there.

Jürgen

PS: sorry for the late response - I just got back to office and found this half
    finished mail still open.

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de