[Qgis-psc] A question on the etymology of QGIS

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Mon Sep 3 23:58:15 PDT 2018

Hi Gavin,

I had a look at the article from Nick Bearman and interview from Nicolas
Duggan. Very nice and well investigated! Thanks for them.

The only two major drivers, next to cost savings, that I would like to see
added in the motivations for using QGIS are:
- flexibility and
- speed of development

QGIS is these days a very flexible toolkit - both for regular users and
developers. A lot of things can be done through configuration only, by
power users, using expressions, forms and widgets, model builder, etc., but
if you are a developer, the possibilities are almost endless. There are
quite a few development projects around, that use QGIS as the engine, but
develop a completely different UI on to of that.

Regarding speed of development: if you have ever tried to get a new feature
that you want as a customer into either QGIS or some other major commercial
GIS, you will probably find out that in 90% of the cases it is much quicker
to get the new feature into QGIS than into the product of the commercial
competitor. You have a much better and more direct access to the developer
team at the QGIS project, and if you invest financial resources and find a
good developer, you can get new functionality in QGIS quite fast. There is
a large pool of know-how, skills and competencies within the QGIS developer
community (and the related FOSS4G libraries on which QGIS builds) and the
community will help you find the right developer for solving your problem.

Challenges are sometimes: coordination and making sure that things that
have been developed once won't be negatively affected or broken by other
development happening later or in parallel.

Thanks,
Andreas

On 3 September 2018 at 23:02, gavin.schrock at xyht.com <gavin.schrock at xyht.com
> wrote:

> Hi Paolo and team,
>
> I have a quick question regarding the 4 articles appearing in the
> September issue of xyHt Magazine.  There are four articles containing
> insights from you, Nick B, Anita, Tim S, etc.  I'm the editor of xyHt and a
> question has come up about the Q in QGIS.  The running of these articles
> came directly f=as result of inquiries from our readers asking to
> learn more about QGIS. One of the questions, while perhaps trivial was
> "what is the meaning of the Q in QGIS".
>
> I fully understand that in the present  that no one would ever refer to
> QGIS with the 'quantum' prefix, but it was part of the history and all we
> wanted to do was resolve the mystery of the 'Q" by stating: *at one time
> referred to as Quantum GIS, but now simply as QGIS*
>
> One of the article contributors would like us to remove any mention of
> 'quantum', but is that the desire of the entire team?  We are a news
> publication, and the history is part of the news. Does the board have any
> problem with us mentioning this item from the history of QGIS as stated
> above?
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> Gavin Schrock, PLS
> Editor, xyHt Magazine