[Qgis-psc] Notes about certification

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 16:18:32 PDT 2018

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 at 23:37, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:

> I'm a huge FOSS fan, I'm fully dedicated to open access courseware AND I
> hope QGIS is socially uplifting countries/people :-)
> And having some discussion here around me, I'm getting more into your
> poition, but still have the feeling that docs are different from code.
>
> I do agree though that 'giving back' is an important thing.

My concern here -- in the name of "giving back", we're actually mainly
just benefiting the "leaches". In Australia at least there are a
number of training organisations who offer QGIS training, yet have
never contributed a single line of code or cent of funding back to the
project. I don't see how requiring an open license on materials will
help at all here. Instead, I suspect these organisations will just
take other's open training materials, submit these for the
certification, and continue not to contribute anything back to the
project OR shared training material.

Nyall