[Qgis-psc] Fwd: [Qgis-community-team] QGIS Documentation strategic meeting

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 03:31:07 PST 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Alexandre Neto <senhor.neto at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 11:30 AM
Subject: Re: [Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-psc] QGIS Documentation strategic
meeting
To: Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
Cc: qgis-community <qgis-community-team at lists.osgeo.org>

Sorry for the delay. Here are some key thoughts we agreed at the end of the
meeting.

- Focus the documentation work on the User Manual and the PyCookbook
- Make providing documentation for new features mandatory at the Pull
Request review. If the coder does not provide some kind of documentation
explaining the new features, it can not be merged. (Blog post somewhere
else are acceptable, but PRs to Documentation repo would be even better ofc)
- Split the several docs in different repositories to make it easier to
build, allow different timings for their releases, and separate the
continuous integration. Move static content, not dependent from the QGIS
version to the website.
- Update the Sphinx theme to read the docs theme, this will help to build
the docs in windows and Linux, and allow us to update our structure more
often (our is quite outdated)
- Update the PyCookBook to QGIS 3.10 and activate testing on "all" snippets
(maybe as a grant proposal)
- Have Continuous integration between QGIS master and the PyCookbook to
allow warnings when the cookbook stops to work
- In a next hackfest, make Documentation the hacking focus, to allow
everybody to participate and understand how hard it is to keep up with the
new features
- Make some online | remove events to get people together to work on the
documentation
- Remove some verbose on the Sphinx syntax to make it easier to catch by
newcomers (e.g. replace guilables by simple bold)

If I missed something, please correct me.

Thanks!

Alexandre Neto