[Qgis-psc] QGIS for Mac OS packaging and infrastructure

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Wed Feb 20 19:42:16 PST 2019

Hi

Richard wrote:

> Hi Saber,
>
> Thanks for all this work!
>
> tldr; WHO WANTS TO DO IT :-)
>
> Though the 600 / year is probably ok for PSC, I think we really need a
> maintainer who wants(! aka really needs) to maintain the server + build
> process. I'm not an Apple owner so I pass.
>
> Off course it could be a chicken/egg problem, but as everything in
> Apple-land costs money (developing (licenses to get the software),
> certificates, building infrastructure etc) would it not be a better fit
> if a company tries to do this (preferably(?) in a profitable way)?
>
> Also because this is a re-occurring issue: some people try to create a
> package (Kynchaos did, Larry did, Matthias did, now lutra did) in their
> favorite apple build tool chain/form, then loose interest/time (no
> offence meant here!) and we are at zero again. Though to be honest I
> think every time the result is better :-)

Actually I don’t think it is correct to say that William lost interest. He wrote me a nice email explaining his position. Basically he has a different build approach to Lutra, preferring a linux style shared library approach compared to Lutras all in one bundle approach (think snap package vs apt here). I think he plans to continue his work and probably there is a subset of users who will continue to enjoy and appreciate using his packages.

> Last: would it not be cheaper to buy an Apple Mac mini (900 dollar),
> build locally and then upload to one of our download sources? Or let a
> good Apple user hang it to the interwebs?

—

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org