[Qgis-psc] QGIS for Mac OS packaging and infrastructure

Saber Razmjooei saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 02:36:41 PST 2019

Hi all,

Let's have the discussion focused on one issue as raised by the original
email. This will help making a plan and reaching a conclusion.

@qgis-psc <qgis-psc at lists.osgeo.org> we have moved forward based on your
discussion and votes (unanimously voted in favour of the motion) on Dec
2018 [1]. Unfortunately, our crowdfunding did not reach its target and we
could not resolve the remaining issues. We have 3 options:

1- To handover the project as it is, which will have issues 2 and 3 from
the list below.
2- To finish the work: requires extra funding from QGIS.org - see below
3- Abandon the work

Our questions, which I leave with the PSC to discuss and come up with a
simple Yes or No answer:

1- Are you happy to cover the annual cost of macOS packaging: server cost +
certificate. Our estimate is 700 $ / year. My preference is having QGIS
certificate. But OSGeo will be fine.
2- Will you fund the extra work to support older macOSes (10.11 and 10.12)?
3- Will you fund the extra work to clean up the code, transfer the
infrastructure and maintain the code until Jan 2020.)
(2 and 3 were in our plan but  we omitted those two items because our
crowdfunding did not match the target. Our estimate for 2 and 3 is 4000
euro)
4- Are you willing to publish the packages on qgis.org?
5- Do you have a preferred time line? If yes, when would you like to have
the packages ready?

Kind regards
Saber

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TeVmd8W-vJ0NxKmrFybcAV4Sxci50WbNGyZhM5F4bZc/edit

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 at 10:31, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On 21/02/19 08:17, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I'm aware that William is still doing it. So I honestly do hope
> > he does not feel offended. To be honest I was missing the Kingchaos
> > links in our download page, but now remember he uploads it to qgis.org
> > server.
>
> I believe the whole packaging topic is a strategic issue for us. I
> suggest therefore to dedicate a special meeting to it during the
> upcoming HF.
> All the best.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu