[Qgis-psc] 2019 grant voting is closed

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sun Jun 30 07:50:05 PDT 2019

Hi Jonathan,

On 29/06/19 22:19, Jonathan Moules wrote:

> This is a great intention and is something the FOSS-Geo solutions are
> sorely lacking. I wonder though if it would be much better attained by
> going the *much* simpler (and thus cheaper) path of improving
> integration with the other current solutions (ideally using open
> standards) rather than the much more complicated process and path of
> creating and maintaining an entire server. This also has the added
> benefit of creating a more dynamic and healthy FOSS-Geo ecosystem where
> folks would then have a wide choice of servers.

we have studied this possibility. Unfortunately, standards are far too
semantically poor to accommodate the increasingly sophisticated graphic
possibilities we have in QGIS. In any case, this will result in a huge
amount of work (every new feature should be implemented twice, natively
and as a standard translation), and results will always be uncertain.
With QGIS server, the same libs are used, so the result is really WISIWYG.
In addition, we are now OGC reference implementation for WMS, so I think
we can only build on top of this important achievement.

> A quick back-of-the-envelope investigation shows that of the ~4200 hosts
> of public OGC services in the GeoSeer database, only 4 appear to be QGIS
> server. I'm hoping to do a proper investigation into server software at
> some point in the next few months, but I don't expect the numbers to
> change much.

Thanks for this interesting figure, very interesting. It would be quite
useful to have an online stat of qgis-server adoption, would it be
feasible for you to setup a crawl or similar?

I'm quite sure qgis-server is far less known than it should be (most of
my customers are easily convinced once they see it in action). I believe
we should have an outreach program to make it more widely known.

Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair: